Well, I made it. It was a crazy long trip but I made it. Kind of crazy to think all my luggage made it halfway across the planet, but it did Thankfully. For my last flight from Tokyo to Osaka I rode on a Japanese airline called “All Nippon Airlines” (Nippon is what the Japanese call Japan). It was, as expected, the most comfortable of all the flights. Extremely spacious plane with soft seats that recline back about 5x as far as American ones do. United was a great airline to fly with, don’t get me wrong, but ANA blew them out of the water.
When I actually got my bags from Osaka’s airport, I had to flag down an attendant to work the bus ticket vending machine. I couldn’t read enough Japanese Kanji to work it properly. She was very kind and I was able to get my bus ticket and go. The bus ride was about 25 minutes long, and I got to see the Kobe cityscape all lit up—So that was cool.
I got to the stop and was picked up by the Trims. It was about a 10 minute drive to their house from there. The Trims have a son my age named Josiah who usually attends University but was on break, so he was staying at the Trims for the night. No sooner did we put my bags inside that he asked me if I was too tired to go to an onsen. For those who don’t know, an onsen is sort of a Japanese spa that consists of various pools filled with water from natural, underground springs that are then heated to very high temperatures. I’d always wanted to go to one, so I took him up on it immediately. Sorry in advance, but I couldn’t take pictures there.
One thing about the onsen that I didn’t realize I was getting into was the clothing situation. As soon as you walk back to the men’s section of the spring, clothes come off. All clothes. Come off. And not just for the spring area—The whole men’s facility. So yes—You and everyone else walk around absolutely, 100% stark naked. Not going to lie, it feels a bit violating at first, but after a few minutes you realize that nobody cares and well—Everyone else is just as naked, so whatever right?
That aside, the onsen is amazing. It’s like trying out 10 different hot tubs. Springs with bubbles, regualar springs, springs with jets, your own personal giant bowl of steaming water, etc. Then, after you can’t feel your muscles anymore, you go to a bathing area complete with body wash and shampoo. The Japanese shower a bit differently than American's. The whole floor of a Japanese bathing area is like a shower with a drain. So you sit on the floor atop a stool and rinse yourself with a handheld shower head. Then you later up, and when you’re ready you grab the head again and wash off. This is all done sitting down, like I said. I admit, the concept doesn’t seem that pleasant, but it’s actually very comfortable. And since you’re holding the shower head, you can get a warm and concentrated stream where ever you like. It feels pretty nice!
I got my first Japanese culture lesson while we were drying off. Josiah has lived in Japan his entire life, so even though he’s of American blood he’s essentially a Japanese that speaks perfect English. We were talking and apparently I was talking too loud. He kindly told me to quiet down and told me that if I don’t be careful of that sort of thing I’ll get labeled as a “KY” or “Kuuki Yomenai” (くうき よめない) — This means, “one who can’t read the air.” Essentially, it is the culture in Japan to heavily mind your surroundings and not become louder or more excited than those around you. I know I’m going to break more of these rules but I don’t mind getting called out. I can’t learn otherwise.
Before I left the spa I stuck my feet into a cold tub filled with fish called “Doctor Fish.” It’s kind of creepy but also kind of nice. They’re tiny fish that swarm your feet and legs in a piranha-like swarm and nibble off your dead skin. It doesn’t hurt—Just tickles. Your feet come out all rejuvenated. It’s certainly something. Anyway, I just went home and went to bed.
I have time to write this now, so I also snapped a couple pictures.
Here is the outside of the Trim’s home/
A look to the left.
A look to the right.
This is my room here.
Once the room of a young child. It’s still pretty cluttered but I want to get it more straightened up. You can see that my mattress sits up against the wall during the day and that table goes in it’s place. The Japanese don’t often sit on chairs at desks proper, but usually sit on their legs at a low table like this one. It takes getting used to, though not entirely uncomfortable.
For kicks, here’s the bathroom.
And shower area.
In about half an hour I’ll be leaving with Murray to observe him teach English. Wish me the best on that, and look forward to hearing about it next time.
つづく。見ていますか? この偽光。






Day 1 and already some really cool new experiences - thank you for sharing, this is going to be a fun blog to read! Your experience with the spa reminds me of our experience at Hot Sulphur Springs in Colorado last year. Natural springs of varying temperatures from warm to really hot! They were stinky (as the name suggests), but felt wonderful and did wonders for the skin :)
ReplyDelete