So today when I woke up, I went downstairs and was immediately able to join Murray and a guy my age named “Kei” in a Bible study. Specifically, they were discussing Old Testament prophecies related to the death and resurrection of Christ. He actually did ask tough questions! In particular he wanted to know if people just weren’t conspiring to fulfill known OT prophecies. But, as Murray explained, Pharisees and Roman soldiers had no interest in pinning Christ as the Messiah—Quite the opposite, in fact. Kei spent a lot of his life in Hawaii before he came to Japan, so he speaks both languages quite fluently—More so Japanese, but his English is still quite good. After the study, him and I went up to my room for a while and played some games. I learned quickly that he was quite fond of games and anime himself, and so we proceeded to geek out pretty heavily. Making a friend with my interests in Japan this soon is a blessing for sure. We agreed that we should head downtown to the hobby shops sometime soon. Kei is what we call a “ kyuudousha” (求道者) — A seeker. He is quite interested in the Word, but not a professed believer. If this friendship gives even more opportunities to be witness to Kei, then it’s something even sweeter than two otaku heading downtown to look at anime figures.
Later, Murray and I went to pick up his grandson named Leo, who also is being raised here in Japan, from preschool. I thought it was pretty hilarious because as soon as we entered the facility, all the children started pointing at Murray and screaming “Santa-san!!” Murray actually does bear a certain resemblance to the one and only St. Nick, but it’s more so highlighted by the fact that many people/organizations in the area call upon Murray at Christmastime to play the character. Murray always agrees—With the stipulation, of course, that Santa gets to tell children the true meaning of the holiday.
After that, we three went out to get “kaiten-zushi” (回転寿司). This literally means, in Japanese, “sushi that goes around.” All the tables in the restaurant are connected to a conveyor belt that is filled with small dishes of food. These dishes cost a low, flat rate. You grab the food you want, eat it, and then deposit the dish into a slot which counts your dishes. You then simply pay for the amount of dishes you consumed. There is a screen on the table where you can order speciality dishes as well. These dishes are then delivered to you on a conveyor belt above the main one that goes faster—Like a bullet train. Maybe it’d be better if I just showed you. Yeah, I filmed vertically. Like a moron.
Sorry.
Should be noted: I ate raw fish here. I've never done that before, but actually, with some rice and soy sauce--Actually not that bad. And I don't think I'm sick!
Tomorrow I’ll be using the Japanese subway system for the first time, as I travel to attend a Bible study at another missionary couple’s house. Hope you look forward to hearing about what I’m sure will be an interesting experience.
つづく。見ていますか? この偽光。
Mmm sushi. Love the stuff. That conveyor belt thing would be dangerous...like a buffet only lazier! Soo much sushi! :)
ReplyDeleteIt's certainly tempting to spend more than you'd like!
ReplyDelete