Was able to study a second time with Taka on Saturday, so that was a blessing. Taka's very intelligent, and it shows through his attitude towards the study and the questions that he asks that he doesn't take any of this lightly. But he's also obviously wary of blind acceptance, as he should be, and seems to really want to weigh all his options.
I personally don't think there's anything wrong with this, as I think that if you truly "weigh your options," Christ will always come out of top--This is, of course, only in God's good will. Some people might condemn the suggestion that it's okay to look into other religions, but I disagree. After all, if Christianity is worth believing then should it not stand out as the truth compared to everything else? Plus, once again, we must remember that God draws to Himself His own, so it's not as if one can resist His calling through the influence of another religion. Also, if you are indeed a Christian, it helps to know a little about other faiths when you're dealing with someone who is involved with one of them. But I'm going off on a tangent, I think.
What I really wanted to mention in this post one of Taka's seeming main concerns about the faith. His questions imply that he is extremely concerned about those who are born and raised in other religious environments, such as Islam, perhaps. It's easy for someone with a Christian background to know these things, and also simple (per se) for someone with no religious background to seek out Christianity. But what about those who's pagan state is part of their upbringing, and perhaps social status?
He told me that he recently watched the film "God's Not Dead," which immediately made me internally cringe. I don't like explicitly "Christian" films and it's things like these that explain why. Trying to explain the gospel through awkward Hollywood settings, in my humble opinion, is more of a nuisance than a help. They hear neither Moses or the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one makes a big budget Hollywood film.
So apparently, in this film a Muslim girl discovers Christianity and becomes interested. Her father finds out she's been listening to Christian sermons online and kicks her out of the house. It's not at all unrealistic, to be fair, and Taka wanted to know that since these sorts of things do happen, how is it fair more or less.
These things are difficult to explain to those who are not saved. Essentially, I told him that first, these sorts of things do happen, and is it not amazing that Christianity is so powerful that people like this girl will risk everything for it? As far as the "fairness" of the situation, that's all subjective. Firstly, Christ never said it would be easy to follow Him. Yes, some are blessed with the privilege of leading a relatively easy life in Christ--But not all. Many Christians lives are wrought with fear, persecution, and isolation. How could such a loving God be so unfair?
Taka didn't phrase it in such a stereotypically harsh way, but this seems to be his struggle in any case. In this particular case, I told him, again, how Christ said we must bear our cross if we wish to follow Him. He never promised a life of ease--But he does promise us eternal paradise and joy for following Him--Such that will make any present sufferings seem as a distant dream. I also told him that the evil that takes place in this world towards Christians or anyone else is not God's fault, but our own. God created this world perfect, and mankind is now simply paying for our sin--Praise God He has offered a way out!
He appreciated my answer, but it's clear that he's still not totally convinced. It's a typical struggle for the non-Christian, I think, but it's funny how to the Christian it's not even a question.
In reality, the question you should be asking isn't, "Is it really fair for God to give an easy Gospel to some and a harder one to others?", but, "Is it really fair that, in our desolate and sinful state, we should be offered any salvation at all?"
People get so obsessed over weighing God's methods in their own custom scales and considering how "fair" He is in His rulings. Doing this, of course, while never one second thinking about who is the true judge of what is "fair" and what is not. If you look at it in that regard, I think it's quite plain to see: The mercy God shows towards us is totally illogical and unfair. Instead of complaining about the way God chooses to dispense His salvation, perhaps you might be better off considering how God would even consider saving one man--Let alone multitudes. The ultimate mystery.
--Ethan
One of Marcy's students that I'll be teaching next month--Mr. Miyake. His birthday was on this day, so we had cookies in class which he was very appreciative of.

No comments:
Post a Comment