Hello once again. Ever since I got back from the conference in Karuizawa, things have been a lot more steady with less surprises. I like some spice in my life once in a while, but it’s always nice to simply get into a groove and stay there. Of course, I know it’s not to last — But that’s okay. Soon, Marcy, the missionary living in the church, will be going back to America to raise more support. During that time, I’m to take over a lot of her English teaching. On Thursdays in particular, that’s about 5 classes back to back. For someone who’s only taken over two classes since I got here, that’s some serious baptism by fire. Oh well. I can handle it.
Probably.
Ministry is still about the same, and all is well. Actually, I’m sure you’ll all be happy to hear that I finally was able to start that Bible study with Takaki (Taka for short) that I tried to do weeks ago but was held back due to sickness and conflicting schedules. Taka’s a very interesting fellow and I like him a lot. He showed a lot of interest in this study, and told me he specifically wanted to study Romans to which, of course, I made no objections. He told me that he never considered himself a “religious” person, but he ended up studying abroad in Melbourne, Australia where he was exposed to multiple religions such as Islam and Christianity. It was then, he says, that he began to truly acknowledge the existence of a god. Now, he’s on a quest, of sorts, to find out who this god is and if he should be serving this god. We had a great first study, and he asked a lot of excellent questions — I can’t wait until next time.
Interacting with the Japanese in settings like these confirms even further my belief in the doctrine of Total Depravity — We are sinful men, and only God can draw us to Himself in His own good will. You have, literally millions of Japanese, walking around day in day out not giving God a second thought. To most Japanese, work and possessions are paramount. Without them, life is meaningless. Then, all of a sudden, people like Taka and Kei are exposed to the Bible and ravenously want to learn more about God and His Word. Of course, I realize that many times this might be mere curiosity that leads to nothing, but not in every case. Kei, who I study with on Fridays, told me that he went years without thinking about a god, until one day he looked at the world around him and it occurred to him there must be a higher being somewhere. He went searching for this higher power and God used Christians in his area to expose him to the truth. That’s a perfect example of God’s Special Revelation smacking someone clean in the face. It’s an amazing thing, and simultaneously comforting knowing that God makes all the calls — Not us. We are blessed instruments, but we are easily disposable in case of failure. Humbling and scary when I put it that way. We truly must be careful how we represent the name of God — Not so much for the fate of others, but for our own sake that we might not dishonor the God we claim to serve. Keep that in mind today as you interact with others. Stay sharp.
The "Tetsujin" (Iron Man) who stands stories tall, guarding Shin-Nagata.
The beautiful city of Kobe at dusk.
Originally took this picture at an arcade for my gamer friends, but I figure I should show my face once in a while.
つづく。見ていますか? この偽光。



No comments:
Post a Comment